Frozen Parsnip, Mandarin Orange Gel, Citrus Tuile, Freeze-Dried Green Coriander, Lemon Olive Oil, Herb Tangerine Lace
For the Parsnip Cream:
- 300g Parsnips, Peeled and Chopped.
- 1000g Milk
- 4 Cups Parsnip Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup Cornstartch
- 4 Egg Yolks
- ½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Flour
1. Heat the milk and parsnips and remove from heat. Allow the parsnips to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid and reserve it. It should yield approximately 4 cups.
2. Add the parsnip milk, sugar, salt and vanilla to a sauce pan. Heat it gently.
3. Combine the cornstarch, yolks, vanilla and flour in a bowl. Whisk to emulsify it.
4. Slowly add the hot milk to the yolk mixture while whisking.
5. Move the mixture to a double boiler and cook it until it thickens slightly.
6. Strain the thickened parsnip cream through a chinois and cool completely.
7. Fill a whipping siphon with the parsnip cream and charge with 2 cartridges. Reserve.
For Mandarin Gel:
1 C up Sugar
1. Place the sugar in a glass bowl.
2. Grate the tangerine zest directly into the sugar and rub together to release the citrus oils.
3. Juice the tangerine fruit and add the juice to the mandarin sugar.
4. Transfer the mixture to a small pot and bring to a simmer while stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
5. Transfer the syrup to a blender and blend at high speed until completely emulsified.
6. Thicken the syrup with 0.1% Xanthan gum by weight.
7. Pass through a fine strainer, cool, and transfer to squeeze bottle.
For the Citrus Tuile:
1 Orange , zested
½ Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
2.5 Tbsp Orange Juice
7 Tb sp Butter, softened
1. Combine all of the ingredients, mix thoroughly using a bench mixer and chill completely.
2. Preheat a non-convection oven to 400F.
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
4. Place small balls of the mixture on the mat with at least 3-4 inches in between them.
5. Flatten out the balls with a fork moistened in water.
6. Bake for 2-3 minutes till flat and golden brown.
7. Remove gently from oven and let cool until solid.
8. Store in an airtight container.
For the Freeze Dried Green Coriander:
Coriander Seeds and Stems from a mature plant.
1. Rinse the coriander and dry it thoroughly.
2. Chop into 1 inch pieces
3. Transfer to a freeze dryer or dehydrator and dry until brittle.
4. Grind the green coriander into a fine powder in a small coffee grinder and transfer to a small airtight container.
5. Store in the freezer to preserve freshness.
Place a ring mold on the Anti-Griddle.
Fill the mold halfway with the parsnip cream, with a bit more around the perimeter.
After the Parnsip cream is mostly frozen, place a few drops of mandarin gel into the interior of the frozen parsnips cream. Allowed the gel to freeze slightly.
Fill the mold to the top with more parsnip cream.
When frozen enough, flip the mold to freeze the top.
Carefully pop the parsnip cylinder out and reserve in the freezer.
Remove the parsnip cylinder from the freezer and place it on a frozen wire rack. Let it temper gently for 5 minutes and transfer to a chilled plate. Dust the semi-frozen parsnip cream with coriander powder, and top with a citrus tuile. Garnish the dish with a few drops of lemon olive oil and herb tangerine lace.